It's in my blood.
Since I was given my first camera, when I was a little kid, I have always been fascinated by capturing in a shot what my eyes were seeing around me. The beauty of nature or the smile of a friend, an event or an emotion... Precious pearls to be framed in a photo. Whether freezing a movement or moving the stillness, looking at normality through a different angle or portraying the exceptional, I can choose different perspectives, I can catch reality. I think this passion is in my blood, I inherited it from my Grandpa and then from my Dad, and it has always had a great influence in my life. Come and follow me in my journey searching impressions of life.



Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Photographing Food

I like food photography, particularly of cakes and baked stuff, and if the setting is a country or rustic one, that's even better. It's an area that is much more difficult than what it seems and when done professionally, food photography is as time demanding as taking pictures of live models in a studio: Lights, reflectors, props and a food stylist preparing and placing the food, like it would be for live models the air stylist or the make-up artist. How important is a good photo for a recipe book! If you like the photos, you will tend to think that that is a delicious food for sure!

Well, on a very amatourial level – and in a rush  (the guests were already waiting for their share of sweets) – I started experimenting, taking advantage of the holidays and of the fact that during this time Denise is using her terrific baking skills more often.

I like to use natural light, usually coming from the window, behind the subject. I use a simple poli-plat (or carton plume, a slice of foam material in a sandwich with two sheets of white cardboard) as a reflector in front of the subject, just below the lens, to redirect the light from the window and make the front shadows less harsh. I mount my 5D Mark III on a heavy tripod because some of the exposures are long, and it's also much easier to frame my subject correctly. I like to experiment with little depth of field, so I try to use a focal length of 70mm and up, with a large aperture (unless I am shooting from a vertical point of view where I want everything sharp). The trick is to focus the correct point that will give a nice, interesting look to the photo.

Up to you to decide if you would eat these, after looking at these shots! By the way, if you were wondering... chocolate and hazelnut cookies, coffee cookies and apple bars. Yummy!

Happy New Year to everybody!


              EOS 5D Mark III – Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM@73mm f/7.1 1/25sec ISO 400 +0.67


              EOS 5D Mark III – Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM@58mm f/11 1/13 sec ISO 400 +0.67


              EOS 5D Mark III – Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM@80mm f/5.6 0.5 sec ISO 100 +1


              EOS 5D Mark III – Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM@32mm f/4.0 1/8 sec ISO 400 +0.67


              EOS 5D Mark III – Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM@75mm f/4.0 1/5 sec ISO 400 +0.67





No comments:

Post a Comment