It's in my blood.
Since I was given my first camera, when I was a little kid, I have always been fascinated by capturing in a shot what my eyes were seeing around me. The beauty of nature or the smile of a friend, an event or an emotion... Precious pearls to be framed in a photo. Whether freezing a movement or moving the stillness, looking at normality through a different angle or portraying the exceptional, I can choose different perspectives, I can catch reality. I think this passion is in my blood, I inherited it from my Grandpa and then from my Dad, and it has always had a great influence in my life. Come and follow me in my journey searching impressions of life.



Monday, February 15, 2016

Long-tailed Tits Visiting the Feeder

The morning didn't look too bright... was it cloudy? I could not understand very well... I was thinking of going down to the feeder to take some shots, but I was about to change my mind: with no light, results would not be too good.

But after some time, the sun was rising over the horizon and I could see patches of blue sky getting larger and larger, so I decided it would be worth a visit.

I had just set up the hide, that a small group of Long-tailed Tits arrived. I love these birds, they are very cute and not particularly afraid of man. As their name states, their tail is very long, much longer than all the other tits, with which you can often see them. From my experience, they tend to stay in group of 6-7 birds. They didn't stop for long, but I was able to take a couple of good shots.



               560mm f/6.3 1/800sec ISO1250



               560mm f/5.6 1/640sec ISO1600



               560mm f/5.6 1/640sec ISO1600



  I would like to share a basic trick to take shots of the birds coming to your feeder. What you want to do is to attract the birds with some food and photograph them, possibly without showing the structure. A way to do that is to prepare a perch birds will use to approach the feeder. They would not need that – and even when that is there, not all use it – but most of the birds coming for food, would stop briefly on the perch, before getting to the tray where you have prepared nuts or seeds.

The way I prepared the set up, allows to change the perch easily to introduce more variety in your shots. On each of the two sides of a classic "little-house" feeder, I attached two clamps which can easily fasten a branch or other supports the birds can use. That way you can replace old perches and change them with new ones, adjusting the setting and look of your shots.

There will usually be just one or two seconds to take the shot, because the birds usually proceed right away to the feeder, but sometimes they stop on the perch for a little longer. A smart composition in camera or a crop done later in post processing and you will be able to take good photos in your back-yard.

















No comments:

Post a Comment