It's in my blood.
Since I was given my first camera, when I was a little kid, I have always been fascinated by capturing in a shot what my eyes were seeing around me. The beauty of nature or the smile of a friend, an event or an emotion... Precious pearls to be framed in a photo. Whether freezing a movement or moving the stillness, looking at normality through a different angle or portraying the exceptional, I can choose different perspectives, I can catch reality. I think this passion is in my blood, I inherited it from my Grandpa and then from my Dad, and it has always had a great influence in my life. Come and follow me in my journey searching impressions of life.



Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Moulton Barn

I couldn't visit one more time the Grand Teton area without stopping to take a shot at one of the most photographed landmarks in the USA. It's been photographed thousands of times and pics of this barn are published in books, calendars, postcards and appear multiple times on the web. It is said to be the most photographed barn in America and has become a symbol for the nearby town.

The Moulton barn is not very far from Jackson, Wyoming, driving towards Grand Teton National Park and taking a right on Antelope Flats Road, until you cross Mormon Row. Everything started when Thomas Alma Moulton settled in that area in 1912 to work the land, and soon family members joined and a small complex of buildings where built around Mormon Row.
There isn't only one Moulton barn, and actually the one I photographed is not the most famous of the two, but I only made it shooting this... a good excuse to go back for the other one!

I drove there with Denise in the middle of the day, to see where the place was and we took a few shots, but of course the time and light were not the best ones. So I decided to go back at dawn for a more classical scenario. 
I left the lodge early, when it was still pretty dark, but I noticed the Tetons were covered by low clouds... "Not good" I thought, "the background will not be ideal", but then I thought clouds were good to make the photo more interesting and I hoped they would rise at least a little by the time the sun arrived.

I got to Mormon Row more or less 15 minutes before dawn, when ten/fifteen photographers were already setting up their tripods, studying the best composition while waiting for the sun to rise over the horizon. The Tetons were visible through the clouds, so the situation was not too bad. I wasn't thinking of finding the definite shot, something different from all the others... first of all because the barn had been photographed so many times that that was almost impossible and secondly because I kind of preferred the classic composition that's chosen most of the times. But interestingly enough, while waiting for the sun, I thought of taking a shot opposite to everybody else and I photographed the barn against the rising sun. We can discuss about it being a good choice or not and if that is a good photo of the barn, rather than just a dawn shot, but I like what came out, and it is certainly different from the majority of the shots out there.



               24mm f/20 1/60sec ISO 100



After walking back to the "proper"spot – not to miss the golden moment and not to make all the other photographers mad because I would have been in their pictures ruining the shot – I took different pics until the sun was lighting the whole area.


               28mm f7.1 1/500sec ISO 100 +0.33


               32mm f7.1 1/125sec ISO 100 +0.33


               24mm f7.1 1/200sec ISO 100 +1


               Panorama shot done with Photomerge in Photoshop CC 2015, stitching 6 pics



               35mm f7.1 1/200sec ISO 100 +0.33


It's been a great experience and a lot of fun. Can't wait to get back!


















No comments:

Post a Comment